Tuesday, January 13, 2009

So this is how it will be.

I've been getting a little taste of what it will be like when the husband really retires. For the past few weeks, he's been in a fake retirement mode. It started while I was working temp jobs in November and December.

Since I was gone all day working, he got in the habit of working at home. When things slowed down in his business between Christmas and New Years, he played more than he worked. None of this was a problem for me because, like I said, I was gone all day.

But now, two weeks into January, he is still in the work from home mode. I'm not used to having him around during the day. It kind of throws off my routine. I like my space during the day and having him, shall we say, under foot, most of the day is a little problematic.

I mean, he commandeers the computer for most of the day. How I am suppose to play Mah Jong, surf the net or constantly check my email?? If he's not on the computer, then he's on his phone and he doesn't like background noise when his on the phone so there's no TV. I guess that's because he's trying to fool people into thinking he's at his office and not sitting around in his underwear. It's a good thing we don't have a web cam. Well, he really isn't in his underwear.

Then there are the times when he's bored. He wants me to go skiing with him, go to a movie, go to the Apple Store, go to Barnes and Noble, go check out the skis and jackets at REI, go for a walk, go here, go there. You know, buddy, sometimes a woman just wants time to herself.

I guess I wouldn't mind the present working arrangement if we were living in a place that was bigger than 1300 sq ft. At least, I'd have a place to hide if I needed.

But, I guess I shouldn't complain. He could want to go on my errands with me or not want to be with me at all. I just need how to figure out how I'm going to get my computer time. Maybe I should set up a schedule.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe someday you can help him understand your perspective by hanging out at his office all day when he's there.

But, true, the good thing is that he wants to include you in his various diversions instead of always being with "the guys."

Grandma Cebe said...

Hanging around his office wouldn't work. He'd just want me to open and handle all his mail, run his errands and I have to share his desk. I know, I've been that route.

Anonymous said...

I guess I should have said to hang around his office doing whatever you want to do.

Anonymous said...

Would a laptop on the toilet tank work?