Yesterday, for some reason, I thought back to where I was with my family 10 years ago. All six of us had traveled to Scotland. We were on our ninth day of a twelve day trip that took us to the west coast of Scotland out of Glasgow, through the Highlands, up north and then back down the east coast to Edinburgh.
I decided to get out the journal that I kept on the trip. Here's an excerpt from the entry for June 23, 1999. It was a Wednesday.
Full Scottish breakfast again. It's getting a little redundant. After a supermarket stop for lunch stuff and petrol, we headed south. Made a stop at the TIC for information. Stopped at castle #6, Cawdor, outside Nairn. This was on the smaller scale, but one that looked very much like a family lived there. It's occupied from October to April. Continued south through very rural country side. We were on a single track much of the way. Kent is driving like he's in a Porsche on the Autobahn. The kids are complaining of nausea and the winding roads, combined with speed.
And another excerpt from the same day.
Because of Kinross' convenient location, we decided to base out of here for St. Andrews - 45 minutes away. We'll stay two nights. The kids seemed glad to spend two consecutive nights in the same bed. The girls said they were gettting a little travel weary and wanted their own beds at home. I think Kelly has forgotten hers is a mattresss on the floor. But all of this is part of the experience of international travel. We only have four more nights of homes away from home. It's really gone by fast. I really have grown to love Scotland. It's a magnificent, beautiful country. It's been fun to travel with the kids and quite an experience.
It was a great trip. Since the family has grown considerably in the past ten years, it's unlikely that we will able to do something like this again. Maybe Kent and I will get back to Scotland. But I doubt if we would be able to bring all the kids, in-law kids and grandkids.
No comments:
Post a Comment