Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Geez!

Before I had to pick up my grandson today from preschool, I thought I had plenty of time to stop by a fabric store to get fabric for a new sewing project. But things didn't go quite like I had planned.

After I found material for my project, I headed to the cutting table. There was a line of 3 or 4 women in front of me. But I wasn't worried, since there were 3 employees cutting fabric. I figured that I still had plenty of time to go pick up Aidan after the fabric was cut and paid for.

My turn at the cutting table put me with an employee who was left handed (nothing against you lefties out there) who was using right handed scissors. It was a little awkward for her so she was a little slow cutting fabric. (You lefties can relate to that.) But I was still OK time wise.

She cut the last piece of fabric, turned it over and discovered dirt smears all over it. I suggested that she should cut me another piece because I didn't want to take the fabric home, wash it and find that the marks didn't come out. She said that she'd have to check with a supervisor to see if she could do that. The supervisor said, "Of course, cut her a new piece." At this point, I realized that I was probably dealing with a new employee who didn't know store policy on such matters. Cutting the new piece took some more time. But I was still OK time wise.

When it came time for her to scan the three pieces of fabric for pricing, she had problems with the scanner. She had to consult three other employees before she could get it to work right. I started to get a little concerned about the time this was all taking. But she ended up getting it scanned when I had about eight minutes left before I had to pick up Aidan. All I needed was to check out.

I moved to the check out counter just when the supervisor decided it was time to change cashiers. The replacement cashier ended up being the one who had waited on me at the cutting table. There was one lady in front of me with just a couple of items so it wouldn't take long for her to check out. But wait, her debit card didn't work. She tried it again. The cashier didn't know what to do.

By this time, I had less than five minutes to get to the preschool. I put the fabric on the counter and told the cashier, "I'll be back for this. I have to pick up my grandson from preschool." and left the store. After all, I couldn't leave a four year old standing in the snow outside his preschool wondering where his ride was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to know the ancient law of shopping: "The shortest line takes the longest; and whatever line you are in, it is the wrong one."

Grandma Cebe said...

I know that rule and have experienced it many times. I was just hoping it wasn't the case this time. I was wrong.