Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Obsession

I've never understood the frenzy about all things "Twilight". I read the first book only because it was a choice of a book group that I participate in. I didn't like it and therefore, didn't read the rest in the series.

I know there are girls, women and maybe a few guys, out there who are counting down the days until the next movie comes out. Not me. I'm going to pass on that one. I guess I'm just a little too old for all things "Twilight".

I've thought that the obsession and frenzy is a little harmless, until today. I was watching "Rachel Ray" while walking on the treadmill. She had the "Twilight" costume designer on the show. The designer and others selected three "Twilight" crazed teenagers to have makeovers, right down to the hair style and color, as their favorite "Twilight" character.

Will someone explain to me what is healthy about being a dead ringer for a character in a movie and a book? These girls were so excited to be walking around looking like someone else. What's wrong with being you? These teens already had bedrooms full of every possible "Twilight" memorabilia known to mankind. Why feed the obsession by making them over to look like someone who is a fictional character.

I just don't get it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We live in a sick, sick world.

Anonymous said...

Maybe they do this because they either don't know or don't like who the really are. It makes them somehow feel important and like they belong somewhere.