Thursday, August 9, 2012

Beehive and Me

This past weekend, I finally was able to spend time with a woman that I had met through the HGTV Dream House blog.  While commenting and posting on that blog, we realized that because I lived in SLC and she lived in Midway, Utah, that it wasn't out of the realm of possibility we could actually meet face to face.  The opportunity to finally say "Howdy" in person came about because I found myself in Midway last weekend and a day with time on my hands.

We had been able to use my BIL's vacation home in Midway for some family time with kids and grandkids.  They all went home after 3 days and hubby and I stayed an extra day.  I decided to email Beehive (the moniker she used on the blog) to ask if she had the time to get together for a bit.  She did!

From the moment that we sat down in the Fill'r Up Coffee Station in Midway-she with her coffee and me with my skim milk- we were fast friends. It's been a long time since I've had a connection like that.  Over my years of marriage, we've moved a lot.  I know many women in several communities, but I'd put the majority of them in the category of acquaintances.  That has particularly been the case since moving back to Salt Lake City.  The women that I've met since moving back here are all wonderful gals.  However, because of their deep, long history with each other, it's been difficult to develop any significant relationships.  And due to the nature of  LDS ward boundaries, sometimes those relationships have dwindled because we moved.  It's probably mostly my fault, but that's the case. Anyway....back to Beehive and me.

We discovered that we have so much in common, from having hearing loss, loving the same authors, agreeing that the worse book we had ever read was "Twilight" and using the same brand of moisturizer. It was uncanny.  I asked her "Are you sure that we aren't twins separated at birth?"  Beehive is a master quilter.  So we went over to the local fabric shop where it was decided that she'd teach me to quilt.  Then she drove me all over Midway to show me her favorite places in town.  I told her that my husband and I were toying with the idea of actually moving to Midway (that's another post by itself).  She then said "You should rent something to see if you like it here."  and she knew of a couple of places that might be available in the future. She told me in an email sent since we got back to SLC that she could visualize me living in her neighborhood and teaching me to quilt.  She's also been on the hunt for possible rentals.

I'm headed back to Midway next week to spend time with her and the local church ladies, as she calls them,  to help make Swiss bread for the Swiss Days celebration in September. I'll also have my first quilting lesson. Beehive and I have both said that we were meant to meet.  Funny that it would be through a public blog sponsored by a cable channel.  Who would have thought?

1 comment:

Sailor said...

Isn't it interesting, the connections and friendships that can be formed online. My Annie found a sister-from-another-mother online, something like you and Beehive. And of course there is always C & K that started online. Interesting world. I'm happy for you that you made a good friend. One of the best parts of life