Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Division of Labor

I'm currently working 8 to 5 in a temp assignment. The other day, after putting in a full day "at the office", I came home and did the following:

1. Wash, folded and put away 3 loads of wash
2. Did a quick clean up of two bathrooms
3. Fixed dinner
4. Cleaned up kitchen after dinner
5. Swept kitchen floor
6. Pulled the full garbage bag from the kitchen can. Replaced the trash bag
7. Checked my email

Other the other hand, my husband, who also put in a full day's work did the following:

1. Watched the news
2. Channel surfed
3. Ate dinner
4. Put his plate on kitchen counter
5. Went to a short meeting
6. Carried kitchen garbage to outside can
7. Did some work on his lap top

I guess since I've been doing the majority of housework for all of our married years, I shouldn't expect things to change just because I have a part time job right now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my marriage it was mostly the other way around, though the cooking was about 50-50. Our policy was that the chore was the responsibility of the person who thought it needed to be done. It worked pretty well. Of course, now I do everything myself.

Grandma Cebe said...

I guess I should have set up that policy years ago. Wonder if Kent would have figured out how to use the washer if his clothes were all dirty?

Kelly said...

Remember when you were working full time and you still had to do both? Sorry, but if it didn't change when you were working full time, it probably isn't going to happen when you are only working a temp job.

So sorry.

Grandma Cebe said...

Well at least now I'm only cleaning up after 2 1/2 people (since Patrick is hardly ever home and does a pretty good job of taking care of himself, he only counts as half) and not six adults like I did when I worked full time. Back then, all of you could take the blame for uneven division of labor.

Anonymous said...

You could do what I do now....my OWN laundry, paper plates for everyone but me (that means Michael and his friends)unless they want to put them in the dishwasher, cleaning the bathroom I use (Michael and his friends use the two others, so he has to clean them). For a while Michael's bathrooms were kind of disgusting, but now some of his gatherings include girls, so things are looking more impressive! Maybe it is time for you to renegotiate the housework plan at your house. Of course, Michael is a teen and Kent is your husband, so that makes a big difference, I guess.

TheOneTrueSue said...

Um, mom, I hope you are not suggesting that Uncle Kent get a girlfriend. Heh heh heh.