Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Notes from the office

My temp assignment in the Public Affairs department of the LDS Church will end this week. There haven't been as many crazy, stupid calls as I thought. In fact, at times, it's been rather boring. But there are a few things to share.

I had a phone call today from a secretary in President Monson's office. She asked: "What are you saying when people call and ask when the solemn assembly will be?" I answered: "I'm telling them that there has been no announcement and I do not know." She said: "OK, just checking.". Actually, I do know because the PA Managing Director mentioned it to me a week ago. But I was told to say that I didn't know. So was this a trick question or a test?

Last Friday, a woman from Texas called and told me "I was her only hope." Apparently Gladys Knight was suppose to give a concert some where in Texas, some time that weekend and the caller didn't know the details. She was in a panic. She seemed to think that here at Public Affairs we keep track of concert schedules of entertainers who just happen to be members of the LDS Church. Uh, we don't. So please, don't give me the responsibility of being your "only hope" because I failed you.

The new issue of the "Ensign" came out last week. The cover is a picture of the new First Presidency. A woman called to complain that in the picture President Monson and President Uchtdorf were not wearing wedding rings. She seemed to think that they were setting a bad example and should always wear a wedding ring. Really, lady, there are more important things to worry about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Germans wear their wedding ring on the right hand.

Grandma Cebe said...

I knew that and told the caller. It didn't seem to make any difference to her.

Anonymous said...

Well, when someone gets in a snit--particularly a righteous snit-- they don't usually want to have it diffused by facts.

Wendy said...

This is going to give my husband (and my old bishop) more ammo in the "wear your wedding ring" fight.