I put the Christmas tree up the other day. It's the same tree that I used last year, but it isn't quite so sad and pathetic. I was able to retrive all of Christmas decorations from the storage unit, so the tree and the apartment look a little more festive this year.
Putting up the tree has brought back memories of the Christmas trees of my childhood. We always had the same variety of tree. Back then, I didn't know that tree species had names other than a pine tree. But now, I know that the tree was probably a noble fir or similar variety. My mother wouldn't have a bushy tree with long needles because the ornaments wouldn't hang properly on the tree. I feel the same way. No long needled pines for me.
For many years, our tree was purchased at a tree lot operated by my church. I think the lot was run to raise money for the ward budget. My Dad would always get extra loose branches when he bought the tree. Then, when he got the tree home, he'd use those branches to fill in the bare spots of the tree. It was quite a process involving a drill, nails, and wire. I used to get frustrated because it took so long and all I wanted was to get the tree up so the decorating could begin. But in the end, we always had a well shaped tree.
The decorating process seemed to take a very long time...at least to a young girl. But one reason for it taking so long was the thin, metallic icicles that had to be hung on the tree after the lights, baubles and such were placed. There was only one proper way for the icicles to be hung and that was individually, piece by piece. Throwing them on the tree in clumps was not allowed. I can remember everyone taking turns hanging the icicles and it seemed like days before the entire tree was covered with icicles. It was alot of work, but the end result was worth it. Our entire tree would shine all silvery during the day and really sparkled at night when the lights were turned on. That shiny, silvery tree was a big part of the Christmas magic.
On Christmas morning, the tradition was that all us kids had to wait in the hall while Dad went into the dark living room to turn on the tree lights. More than once, we'd hear a crash because Dad had knocked the tree over while trying to plug the lights in. Then we'd have to wait while he uprighted the tree. I can remember many times waiting in the hall, hoping and praying that the tree wouldn't be knocked over. You may wonder why he just didn't turn on another light while trying to plug in the tree lights. But I think he didn't because he didn't want anyone to have a sneak peek at the tree and all the presents.
My childhood Christmases were great and the tree was big part of it. I hope that my own children have fond memories of the Christmas trees of their childhood.
2 comments:
The folks tended to buy the tree a little late, when the pickings weren't so good. That's why Dad ended up filling in gaps and filling out flat sides and such. It didn't help that the trees were usually bought in the dark. The trunk of one was so curved (from growing on the side of a hill) that he couldn't get it to stand up without cutting about a foot off the trunk. Ah, the memories.
I guess I never really understood why he had to fill in the gaps of the trees. I do remember the tree that was curved and him cutting a foot off the bottom.
Post a Comment