I spent many hours and quite a bit of money transforming a barren hillside into this:
I don't know how many plants and shrubs I planted on that hillside, or how many times I climbed that hill to weed. We got a lot of pleasure sitting inside the house or on the patio, looking at the hillside as various plants bloomed.
Well, today that hillside looks like this:
The current owners wanted a larger, flat yard so that their young children could have more play space. The first two levels of the hillside have been removed. A concrete retaining wall about 8' high will be installed and those children will end up with a backyard big enough for a swing set and lots of running around room.
I have to say that I'm a little sad to see all the hard work that I did over the three years we lived there dismantled by a back hoe in less than a week. What makes me even more sad is that I sure would have liked to have had a few of those plantings to spruce up the little yard where we currently live. But they are gone, along with the yard ornament that you can see in the lower left corner of the top picture.
It's been three years since we moved from that house. But I've always felt that I left a lot of me behind in the landscaping. It's all pretty much gone now.

5 comments:
That is pretty heart wrenching. It's too bad the new owners didn't try to contact you and give you the option of reclaiming some of your plants.
There were two Burning Bush, some peonies, a Holly and numerous perennials that I would have loved to have had. Oh well.
You can only hope the changes annoy the people in the house behind. Or do they even live there anymore?
The Nimbys divorced last year. She got the house and sold it. Funny how things work out.
Hi Connie,
I lost my email address book when I switched to gmail. You won my book and I need your new address to send it to you. Email me: martyatgmail.com
Post a Comment