My husband and I love living within walking distance of our city and downtown. In our search for the ideal place to live, we always come back to downtown living. The suburbs just don't appeal to us. We love the walkability, things to do and have embraced downtown as our neighborhood.
This past weekend was a good example of what downtown living is like for us. Our car has been in parked in our garage since Friday. But we weren't stuck at home.
Saturday morning, after the snow storm cleared up, we bundled up and headed out. There was a movie playing at a local theater that we wanted to see so we walked the six blocks. (In our downtown, the blocks are long. Six blocks is equal to a mile.) After the movie, we headed towards a grocery store in the Avenues, a total of thirteen more blocks. This walk took us past a little deli where we decided to stop and get a sandwich. After the walk, uphill, to the grocery store, we bought what we needed, put it in the backpack that my husband had with him and headed back home....another eight to ten blocks. A bonus for me was with Kent carrying a backpack, I didn't have to carry a purse. I just put my wallet and other necessities in the backpack. Yesterday, we walked to our church meetings.
Not to knock people who live in the suburbs and have to rely on a car to get places. You do what you have to do. But it's great to leave the car at home, and get around the city on foot.
I just came across this article.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=17984054&title=salt-lake-among-top-cities-for-living-car-free
That's my city!
1 comment:
When my kids are grown, Lee and I would love to live in downtown SLC. I love downtown and love the idea of being able to get around on foot/bike. You're living the dream ;>
Post a Comment