Sunday, May 25, 2008

Dog Days

My granddaughter, age 10, has been obsessed with dogs for a long time. Her parents won't let her have one - mainly because her younger brother is allergic to dogs. Or at least, that's what they tell her. I guess one excuse is as good as another.

Anyway, she's been working on grandma and grandpa to get a dog. Just about every time we see her over the past few years, she brings it up. She has all kinds of 10 year old reasoning why it would be a great idea. She's said that it would actually be her dog, but it would live with us.

She was here for a visit this weekend. Not to be deterred, she brought up the subject again while on a long walk with grandpa. It seems that now grandpa may be warming up to the idea. Since she seems to have grandpa on her side, now she's working on grandma.

Her latest efforts included the following ideas:

1. She would help pay for the dog. She says she has $35 and that dogs from the Humane Society only cost $100 and have all their shots, plus a free leash.
2. She says we need to have her go along to pick out the dog because we have to know if it likes children. She thinks that she would pick what kind of dog we get. But I told her since the dog would be living at my house and I would be the primary caregiver, I'd have the final say.
3. She said the dog could come stay at her house when grandma and grandpa need to go out of town and have someone take care of the dog. (I'm afraid her parents would veto this idea). Or...she suggested that Annie and Travis could come and take care of the dog when we are gone.
4. The dog would be so happy when she came to visit and would want to sleep with her. She would come and visit us A LOT more.
5. Finally, she said that you have to do your homework about a dog to be sure you know all about it.
6. She also said that grandpa and grandma need to talk about it.

This young lady is determined. So I gave her a homework assignment. I told her she had to do a report on the kinds of dogs she thought would be a good choice....pictures and all. Grandma and grandpa will talk about it.

Then we'll see.....

What have I gotten myself into???

9 comments:

Annieofbluegables said...

JUST SAY NO!
Wow she is one smart and very determined little girl.
Do you think her parents have coached her in any way?
Should you warm up to the idea, to the point that you say yes(with her sweet coaxing, I can see why you might), make sure it is not a yappy-yippy ankle-biter. They are so obnoxious.
I had 9, now 8 dogs who live next door to me. Two German Shepherds, One Golden Retriever, and 5 cocker spaniels. (They gave one away, I didn't kill it, if that is what you are thinking, but the thought has crossed my mind.) They have managed to completely turned me off of anything canine for the rest of my life AND beyond. If dogs DO go to Heaven, they better not have voice boxes, sniff various parts of humans, or be allowed to relieve themselves on my yard.
Their dogs have turned the neighbor's back yard into a dust bin and when they fight and tussle, the dust comes into our yard. (we have no HOA) They bark at us, EVERY.SINGLE.TIME we go to the back yard. I never have peace in my own yard.
Needless to say, dogs are NOT my favorite animal.
Good luck with the grand daughter though. That would be hard to turn those sweet pleading eyes down, eh?
They have a way of turning a grandparent into putty.

Grandma Cebe said...

We've been saying no for years. And I'm pretty sure that her parents haven't coached her.

Oh, and be glad you don't have an HOA. I could give you an earful about the our HOA.

Doesn't your town have an ordinance about how many dogs a homeowner can have? You may want to check into it.
Be your own little HOA.:^)

Annie Jarman said...

I take issue with #3.

Grandma Cebe said...

What? You don't like the idea of doggie babysitting??

Anonymous said...

All I can say is: You WILL be sorry!
You like to travel, and a dog really puts a damper on that. And the Nimbys will hate you even more than they do now. And there go your gardens, lawn, and sanity. Tell you granddaughter that someday she will have a house of her own, so she can start saving up now for the exact dog she wants when that time comes. Until then, say NO, NO, NO! Repeat after me: "No, no, no."

Grandma Cebe said...

I'm really not caving in on this one for all the reasons you state. The granddaughter is just going to have to wait until she's all grown up. But she's always hopeful that grandma and grandpa will think they need to help her out.

TheOneTrueSue said...

Now WAIT. Let's don't be hasty with the saying no.

Consider:

1) Shitzus are terrific dogs! They're smart! Great with kids! Small! Easy to live with!
2) Your niece has one! That she will give you! For free!
3) FREE is good! FREE is a BARGAIN! How can you turn down a BARGAIN!
4) She will even occasionally send her children over to play with the dog! Just for you!
5) She will also pay you SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS to take him.

Think about that. SEVEN MILLION, all for you.

That dog's looking a little better now, right? Am I right?

Grandma Cebe said...

Sue - thanks for your generous offer. We will take it under advisement. However, unless you recently hit the mother lode of financial windfall, I'm kind of sure that the 7 million dollar offer may over extend you just a little.

Annieofbluegables said...

There is an ordinance that says no more than 2 or 3 unless you have a kennel license. so guess what they had to get? And they got it. It still doesn't help us not get barked at or dust. Now we are investing in a fence, a dense one and some really fast growing dense bushes. They will still hear us and probably bark, but at least we won't have to look at them looking at us and barking like we are on their property or something. They are so STUPID. I HATE DOGS.
and I don't agree with that movie called "All Dogs Go to Heaven"
only a very select few that are obedient, well trained and quiet.
~a