Day 2 - Rexburg, Idaho to Twin Bridges, Montana
I've had days on the motorcycle when parts of the ride were perfect. But day 2 was probably the most perfect total day I've spent on the bike. The air temperature was perfect all day with sunshine and some overcast skies. The roads were good with some very much untraveled.
Our ride out of Rexburg took us north on route 47 to route 20. Just south of West Yellowstone, we turned left and had a beautiful ride through the Madison River valley towards Norris, Montana. Due to a late spring, every thing was still very green. We passed miles and miles of wildflowers in full bloom. Mother Nature's palette was amazing - pink, coral, yellow, red, white and many shades of purple. I've traveled through this part of the country many times. But I've never seen it as beautiful. Usually, it's been parched and dry.
We ended up in the little town of Twin Bridges, Montana. We logged about 350 miles which was probably a little more than we originally figured on. But it was well worth it.
Day 3 Twin Bridges, Montana - Round Trip
Day 3 kind of went like this. Small town, road construction, rain, road construction, very small town, road construction, beautiful scenery, road construction, twisting roads with road construction, lunch in Missoula, Montana, road construction, dinner in Dillon, Montana and back to Twin Bridges, Montana for a good night's rest.
Day 4 Twin Bridges, Montana, Headed home
Due to some problems that came up with business, Kent needs to get a half day in the office before the weekend. My brother decided to stay out on the road until at least Friday. Kent and I hightailed it for home by the quickest route. We doubled back from Twin Bridges to Ashton, Idaho and then hit I-15 all the way back. I really don't like riding the interstate, but what was about a 4 1/2 hour ride from Ashton would have been at least 6 hours or more going the scenic route.
True to the pattern of Day 3, we hit massive road construction just north of Idaho Falls. With some guidance from a guy on the road crew, we were able to avoid sitting in what could have been an hour of stop and go traffic. That would not have been fun on a motorcycle. Picture black asphalt, car exhaust, 95 temp, and no air conditioning. We took a route on surface streets through Idaho Falls. But that was certainly better than the alternative.
We had a nice rest break in the city park in Inkom, Idaho and made it back home before 7 PM.
No comments:
Post a Comment