I apologize up front for any rambling, whining or totally disconnected thoughts that may end up on this post. I've had so much stuff (would like to use a stronger word here, so insert any word that you can conjure up) going on this past week.
We have moved into our cozy little 1300 sq ft. apartment. Now, I know some of you out there might wonder what's wrong with that. Well, we just left a 4300 sq ft. house and trying to get rid of all the accumulated stuff that didn't fit in 3000 less sq ft has been challenging. We unloaded what we could on our children. But that barely made a dent. After a very successful moving sale, last Saturday, the remaining stuff seemed a little more manageable.
My husband and poor, slave labor, youngest son hauled stuff to a storage unit today. My previous experience of having things in storage leads me to believe that when this stuff is unearthed from storage in the future, I'll wonder "Why on earth did we think this was important stuff??!!??" But my husband just can't seem to let go of all his fishing, hiking, camping, sporting goods equipment that he only uses about once a year or less. I'm proud to say that most of the stuff that went to storage is his stuff.
Two trips to D.I. later, and I'm only left with a GAS dryer (Anyone interested?) and the impossible to unload quilting frame system. In one last desperate attempt to find these two items a permanent place, I've re-posted on craigslist and ksl.com. I have no idea what I'll do with them if someone doesn't step up and buy them. I'd almost give them away just so I don't have to deal with them anymore. Erg.
I'm sitting here waiting for the cable guy - again. This is the "fun" part of moving. The cable was set up last week much to my husband's delight. But to his dissatisfaction, the picture isn't up to snuff and it takes two remotes to work everything. So, cable guy is on his way. One last little frustration will soon be out of the way.
There is an upside to all this. I've lost 9 pounds in 7 days. I wouldn't recommend my activities of the past week as a sure fire weight loss program for anyone. It's been awful, stressful, sweaty, and really no fun at all.
The apartment feels like home - mainly because we lived in this same complex three years ago (for four years) while searching for a house and said house turned out to only be a three year stay. We have a great view of the city from our 7th floor apartment. It's the view that Ms. Nimby demanded that she should have from her back deck. So there's a little justice.
I'll finish up with the last of the cleaning at the house tonight. And then I'm done. I hope the new owners enjoy living downhill from the Nimbys. I won't miss them AT ALL!! There's more to tell about the Nimbys, but that is an entirely different post.
And another upside to moving - when talking to our internet provider about moving our service, the customer service guy says "Wow, you don't have broadband and your internet speed is just one step above dial up. I can upgrade you at no additional charge." My kids have been complaining for years that our computer was slow. I never bothered to check on it. So, now with my free upgrade, I'm whizzing and down loading my way through the internet. It has taken a little getting used to.
Yay! Cable guy showed up, on time, as promised. There should be no complaints from my husband about the picture, remote usage or anything else on his television. My brother will appreciate that as well. The problematic TV is in the "Man Den/Guest Room".
Husband and I have designated rooms in this apartment. There's the joint usage living room/kitchen area and master bedroom/bath. We also have "His" room and "Her" room. It's a little deja vu. His parents lived in this same complex many years ago. They had His and Her rooms. But, please, just don't call us Carol and Bob.
8 comments:
If you still need to get rid of the dryer and quilting frame, try this:
http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/Utah/Salt%20Lake%20City
Thanks for the tip. Maybe we can unload some of the stuff in storage as well.
I'm jealous that you're done. Do you still have the same great view or the 24th of July parade route?
Glad everything went well. We should all get together sometime this summer - maybe lunch for the aunts/cousins/sisters? It would be fun to get together.
We have a loftier view of the parade route from a deck that will be in the shade the entire time.
Lunch with the girls would be fun. You should set it up when you're back in Utah.
What I meant to say was that I am glad that you are moved and in, and although things are frazzled you're alive and basically well.
Sorry if I offended.
No offense taken.
Moving is the pits. I'll bet you are glad to be finished before the l00+ degree weather hit. Sue isn't so lucky.
Post a Comment