Monday, March 2, 2009

Completely unrelated thoughts

I applied for Social Security benefits online the other day. Part of the process required answering questions about disabilities. One of the questions was "Are you blind?". Well since I was reading the question on the computer screen, I'm pretty sure I'm not blind. I'm just thinking that a blind person would probably only answer the question on a computer if a sighted person was reading it to him/her.

A few weeks ago, my home computer developed some serious health problems. It has taken awhile to get it fixed. In the meantime, I realized that I probably spend way too much time at the computer. I've had to find other, more productive ways to fill my time.

I just started a long term on-call assignment. I'm classified as a receptionist. But on this job the phone doesn't ring - AT ALL. My basic duties are making sure the weekly 15 minute department devotional comes off without a hitch, letting people in the security door, collecting money for devotional treats, ordering office supplies and scheduling conference rooms.

In return for these somewhat mundane activities, I get paid $100 a day, plus have unlimited internet access. Since I am also the only female employee in a department full of tech guys, I have an entire restroom with three basins and five stalls for my personal use. And, I'm working in a building a couple of blocks away from Church headquarters. I don't have to wear panty hose and a skirt every day.

I am warming up to the idea of condo living. With spring arriving in a few weeks, it is nice to not have to worry about lawn and garden care or getting the sprinkler system turned on. A condo with good living space, and some amenities sounds pretty good.

I've gone over six months without a microwave. Now I have to decide if purchasing one is a need or a want. I think that my older grandkids would say it's a need. They don't understand how I can function with out one. Well, kiddos, back in the "olden" days, I got along pretty well without one.

An icon in our city and state passed away a week ago. He was the owner of the Utah Jazz, many car dealerships, and numerous other businesses. He also had an extensive collection of Ford Cobras, vintage Mustangs and a vintage red, Ford Falcon convertible. His funeral cortage went past my apartment building last Saturday. It was pretty impresssive. In the lead were several dozen highway patrolmen on motorcycles. Another four patrolmen on motorcycles rode with the hearse. Then his four sons and one daughter followed behind. Each was driving one of this guy's Ford Cobras. The red Ford Falcon followed driven by one of his grandchildren. He was laid to rest in style. His coffin was painted cobalt blue with white racing stripes.

1 comment:

Gena said...

That job sounds great!!