Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tis a puzzlement

My home town has its share of transient and homeless people. Besides the usual, card holders types with signs that say "Will work for food" or "Stranded, need bus money", there are some who will approach you on the street or in a parking lot and ask for bus money.

What I'm puzzled about it that when these people ask for bus money, they all need to go to the same place. The question is always a variation of "I need bus money to go to Ogden.". They never need to go to Utah County, some suburb in Salt Lake County, or even one of the several cities between Salt Lake and Ogden. It's always Ogden. What is the attraction to Ogden? Or is Ogden really a euphemism for some thing else that they really need or want?

I've been on the first phase of the Atkins Diet for about two weeks and I'm having pretty good success. But I'm puzzled why after an initial 8 pound weight loss and a visible difference in the way my clothes fit that the bathroom scale seems to be stuck at a certain number. I know I'm losing inches - you know, very baggy slacks, shirts that didn't fit two weeks ago that are now almost too big - but the scale seems to be stuck. Am I going to get on the scale one day and find that I'm really down 15 pounds or more? How can it be to have weight loss show up every where but on the scale? And no, the scale isn't broken. I can't figure it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try some extra exercise. That will usually break through the plateau stage. Is there a Curves near you? That would incorporate some resistance exercises, which will boost your metabolism. Good for you for sticking with it!