It's always interesting and sometimes scary to walk through out downtown Salt Lake City. I had a near miss with a guy driving a van who ran a red light and nearly hit me and two other people who were crossing the street with the light in our favor.
I was so ticked off that I wrote a letter to the editor of the local paper. I doubt if the guy will see it or even recognize himself if he does read it. Anyway, it made me feel better just to write it.
Just in case you don't read the Tribune, or the letter doesn't get published, here's what I wrote.
To the male driver of the white, late model Chevy van going west on 200 South at the State Street intersection at about 11:10 AM on Wednesday, September 23...that was an excellent evasive manuver you did to avoid the three pedestrians who were legally in the crosswalk as you sped through. I guess you were to engrossed in your phone conversation to realize that the light had turned red before you reached the intersection. Or maybe, you thought a little game of chicken with pedestrians might liven up your day. All I can say is that it sure made mine a little more exciting. Thanks for the unexpected thrill that comes from being a pedestrian in downtown Salt Lake.
I'm glad that I didn't become another statistic in the recent rash of pedestrians getting hit while in the crosswalk.
4 comments:
I was walking toward a corner in San Francisco. The light had changed and a group of lunchtime pedestrians started to cross. A driver, very late for the light, kept going, swerved around the pedestrians, almost clipping them, and screeched around the corner, up the street in my direction.
I stepped into the street and slapped his fender. WHOMP!
He screeched to a stop and jumped out.
I yelled, "HEY @X!*x#¿/#! YOU ALMOST HIT THOSE PEOPLE!"
Seeing there was no one sprawled and bleeding in the street, he asked, "Did you hit my car!"
In a sudden rush of uncharacteristic bravado, I replied, "Yeah! Come over here and I'll smack YOU!"
We yelled at each other a little more, but he knew he was wrong and backed down.
Justice in the streets of the big city.
Utah drivers are definitely not "saints."...speeding, cell phones, ignoring laws...you name it, you'll see it here. I get the feeling that people here think driving laws are only important when it is convenient or in their favor. I'm glad you managed to come out this encounter in one piece.
Ha ha! Uncle Al, that's awesome!
Mom, so glad I didn't receive a call to day that I was needed at the hospital. Dumb drivers.
Reminds me of the time in L.V. a lady came within inches of hitting Michael when he was crossing in a crosswalk by his school after I had dropped him off. I was so mad I followed her all the way to her office four miles away. She was pretty scared by then. I got out of my car and said, "Do you have something so important to do today that it was worth almost killing my son?" She stammered an apology and ran off to the building. Maybe next time she will watch what she is doing.
Post a Comment