Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A word to the wise....

Caller: "I got a message from someone who I had a interview with last week. I was suppose to call back" Me: "Do you have a name?" Caller: "I'm not sure. (pause....) I think it was Robert?".

So are my expectations too high when I assume that if you got a call back from a previous interview that you just might want to be sure about details, like who called you???? Particularly when I know that out of the multitude of applications for any one position with the company where I work, only 4 or 5 are even called in for a first interview? There are too many people looking for work right now to not be diligent in the details. The competition is brutal.

If the caller had known a first and last name, or the first name along with the department, I could have transferred her to who she needed to talk too. But, she didn't even know what department she interviewed. How can this be? When I cover the central HR reception desk, I hear it all the time. (see previous post)

Look people, if you are qualified enough to get the first interview, be sure that you know who you interviewed with and how to contact him/her. If you are uncomfortable asking the interviewer directly, you can probably ask an Admin or someone in the office before leaving. And for heavens sakes, write the information down and keep it in place where you can find it later. Not keeping track of these kind of details can cost you, big time.

No comments: