Sunday, January 16, 2011

Proven wrong

If you are a member of the LDS Church, then you understand that where you attend church is based on where you live. Congregations are organized geographically. It is expected that members attend the ward that encompasses your physical address. There are a few exceptions, once in a while...like for my husband and me.

For the past 4 1/2 years, my husband has been serving as a counselor in a Young Single Adult ward. This has meant that instead of attending the ward where we actually live, we attend the YSA ward. YSA are young people between the age of 18 and 30. The only married couples are in the leadership. About a year ago, I decided that I needed more interaction with women my own age. So I started to attend another ward that met in our same building where I knew many of the women. I don't live in those ward boundaries. But it was convenient and easy.

Lately, I've felt that that particular arrangement wasn't working for me. So, today, I decided to start going to the ward where I actually live. I could have done this a long time ago, but had a preconceived notion that the ward would be stuffy, unfriendly and just not a good fit. However, with a open mind and, yet, with some reservation, I made my way over to the new ward meetings.

What I found was that the women were welcoming, friendly and, from first glance, women that I have more in common with than where I was previously going. Hooray! A bonus is that an old friend from Park City has just moved into that ward. What a surprise when I saw my kids piano teacher in Park City come into Relief Society. After visiting with her, I learned that she and her new husband have just moved into my apartment building...ON THE SAME FLOOR!!!

It's great to be proven wrong and have preconceived notions blown apart. I just might like going to church again.

No comments: