Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Weeds Be Conquered!


Yesterday, I spent 3 hours weeding the top portion of our steep back hillside. Even though, I spent hours this spring planting ground cover, perennials, more shrubbery and trees (actually, professionals and Patrick planted the trees and shrubbery), the infamous wild grass and morning glory still took over the hillside. You really couldn't tell what was growing up there. Six black garbages later, the place looks a lot better.

However, my body is paying today for the physical labor. Aside from the usual aches and pains, I also sat down hard on a small rock and bruised my tail bone! Ouch! I didn't know the rock was right under my butt when I sat down on the hill. I should probably just let the weeds totally claim the hillside as theirs. They've been trying ever since we moved in here. But I won't be conquered by the obnoxious little weeds. Even though it seemed that no one in my family noticed my hard work, or the six garbage bags sitting on the patio waiting for someone to haul them around front to the garbage cans; I have some satisfaction of a job well done. Hopefully next year, the perennials and shrubs will grow up and show the little old weeds who is in charge.

6 comments:

Al Christensen said...

Humans have their plans, Nature has hers. ;^)

Grandma Cebe said...

I understand all about nature and her plans. Unfortunately, in my neighborhood, nature has to be controlled because we have a "wonderful" HOA where neighbors rat on neighbors if the CCRs are within the approved guidelines. That means NO WEEDS.

Grandma Cebe said...

Oops - I mean neighbors rat on neighbors if the CCRs AREN'T being followed. I should really proof read before posting.

Kelly said...

the yard does look pretty good and i noticed the bark ground cover up front. you've got quite the green thumb.

Annie Jarman said...

Umm... my husband help plant those trees too.

Grandma Cebe said...

I stand corrected. Travis did help with the tree planting effort a year ago. I was specifically referring to the trees that started all the hullabaloo with our neighbors to the north.