I emailed my brother today asking him why he hadn't posted to his blog for a week. He's a fairly regular poster. So to have nothing from him in a week was a little out of the norm. I wanted to be sure he hadn't fallen off the planet. He emailed me back and reminded me that it been several weeks since I had posted. Guess I better get caught up. These are all random thoughts.
I realized today as I was pulling into a shopping mall parking lot that the city where I live has come of age. A "Cheesecake Factory" will soon open at the mall. Along with an IKEA that opened last August, we are just like the big folks. Word is that when the big new downtown shopping center is finished in 2011 that some really big high end retailers will be moving to town. Then this little old town will really be grown up.
Last Saturday it was wet, rainy and cold. After spending part of the day at the cinema, my husband and I headed to a local cafe for a late lunch. We had some time on our hands with a decaf and hot chocolate to nurse. Our conversation turned to getting older. Now, it's amazing that my husband would even talk about getting older because he's been in a state of denial for years that he is over 50. He made the comment that there seemed to be so many younger people around these days!
My husband and I have been talking about "downsizing". We live in almost a 4000 sq ft home. That's going to be too much room in a few years. So how's this for downsizing? We looked at a home for sale this weekend that is 106 years old. It meets a lot of our criteria (despite it's age and need for some work) - family gathering space, a yard for grandkids to play, close to downtown. But it is almost 5500 sq ft. Guess we have it a little backwards.
It's no longer summer, or even Indian summer, where I live. For the last few weeks, it's been raining or snowing - generally on the weekend. There's been a few good days, but not many. The patio furniture is covered for the winter or put away. The sprinkling system has been shut down and the flowers beds readied for winter. And most likely, the motorcycle won't be out of the garage until next Spring. Now that's sad.
My husband asked me Saturday if I would ski with him this winter. I have a very nice pair of skis and boots that have probably only seen snow about 6 times since I got them over 8 years ago. Maybe I'll have to find out if I can even get down the ski hill anymore. The last time I went skiing, it was at a resort with lots of snowboarders. I hated it. If I'm going to ski at all, we'll have to find a resort with NO SNOWBOARDERS! (No offense to any of you who may snowboard. But I didn't like the way snowboarders carved up the hill.) There's only one place to ski around here that's within an hour of my home. Guess we'll be heading up to Deer Valley.
No comments:
Post a Comment