Tuesday, April 7, 2009

As long as I get paid

I am in week six of a three month On-Call assignment. In most of my temp jobs, my primary responsibility is to answer the phone. But not this job. The phone rarely rings.

I'm getting paid to keep the break room in order with supplies stocked, order office supplies, help people find kleenex boxes in the supply room, clean up conference rooms after meetings, order food from catering, organize the weekly devotional, determine where pictures need to be hung in the building, deliver the one or two pieces of mail that show up here every day and let people into the secured building. It doesn't take much to take care of these few duties, so most of the time I'm on the computer.

Most of these duties sound vaguely familiar, like stuff that I do at home, but with a different name. But if the employer doesn't mind paying my hourly rate to sit here and basically do very little all day, it's OK with me.

2 comments:

Alan said...

Is your job title Office Mom?

Grandma Cebe said...

That pretty much describes it. I get Mom questions like "Do you where ....(fill in the blank) is?" or "Do you know how to ....?"