Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Just a little rant

I have a hard time with people who have to see someone, or have an appointment with some body, but they don't know the person's name, or where exactly to find that person. It has happened a lot in the two temp positions I've been working the last month.

At central HR desk, more than once, a job applicant would show up and state they had an interview for a job, but wasn't sure who it was with or where they were suppose to go. It then became my job to start asking questions to try and figure out where they were suppose to be. Don't you think that for something as important as a job interview, you'd have all the contact information before you left home? At least, that's what I'd do, but maybe I'm a little OCD that way. For some reason, showing up and saying "I have an interview, but I don't know who it's with" just strikes me as being unprepared and unorganized and a little ditzy.

A woman just showed up here in Public Affairs with a CD for an employee. That employee wasn't here so she said that she has also been working with Chris. Well, there's no Chris in this department. I ask for his last name, but she didn't know it. I go into the online employee directly to see if I can find Chris. There were only 415 people with name Chris. Uh - not too likely I was going to find him that way. She also had her master copy and wanted me to copy the CD to my computer and email it to our employee. The file was to big to email. She's in kind of panic because there was a deadline involved. Am I wrong to think that she should have been a little more prepared? After all, it's the end of the work day, the day before Christmas Eve and employees around here have been heading home early. She got lucky when the employee in our department happened to walk through the door. Her problem was solved. Lucky for her.

I realize that as a receptionist, I'm suppose to helpful. But I a little help from some of these clueless people would be nice.

And some of the questions I get on the phone are head scratchers as well. Like the one yesterday. The caller asked if I knew if the group "Christmas Brass" that was playing in the Church Office Building that afternoon used percussion. Why? She was a little upset when I didn't know. I hope that she didn't stay away from the performance because I couldn't give her the answer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time someone comes for a job interview and doesn't know with whom, you could say, "You just failed the interview."

Grandma Cebe said...

Oh how I wish I could say that. But I'm just a lowly on-call receptionist.