Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Apparently, I'm dumb.

I've been working a temp job at Church Headquarters the past few days. The position is at the main receptionist desk for Human Resources in an area that's open to the general public - which means that anyone can walk in without going through security. There haven't been too many outsiders other than the few transients that come in from time to time for bus tokens.

Just a little while ago a woman walked in and wanted to know if I could tell her where the city recreation place was where people can go swimming, exercise, shower and then go home. I've lived in the city for a long time and I'm pretty familiar with city services, but told her I didn't know about this particular facility. She told me I was dumb if I didn't know about it. In an effort to give her a little assistance, I made a phone call, looked through the phone book and really didn't come up with anything. Through all this, she is getting a little more upset with me and insistant. It was obvious to me that she was a little whacko.

Finally, I was able to get her out the door by suggesting that she go to the City-County Building. I even gave her directions to walk there and how to get take the local light rail. She left, after she told me that I must think she was lying about this particular facility.

As soon as she leaves, two people who work in the general area tell me that she's a regular visitor. OK, so was it a set-up? Did the some one call this lady and tell her that there was a newbie at the main reception desk so it was time for her to come in to test me?

Test or not, I think I handled this whacko pretty well. I'm patting myself on the back as I write this.

No comments: