I'd thought I'd get started on some Thanksgiving dinner preparations tonight. I made the stuffing - no problems there. Then started in on the pumpkin pies. It kind of went like this -
Recipe calls for 4 eggs, I had only put in 2, but caught my mistake before it was too late.
Recipe calls for evaporated milk. Oops, I put in sweetened condensed milk. While I was pouring the milk in, I was wondering why it looked a little different and the cans weren't 12 ounces each.
Since there was no way of saving the pie mixture, I threw it out.
Even though it was getting late, I decided to go to the store to get more canned pumpkin and evaporated milk. It would be the second trip to grocery store since coming home from work. But, I work half day tomorrow, and being in a grocery store on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving would be a nightmare.
I came home and started over. It wasn't until I was measuring the cinnamon that I realized I had put 2 tablespoons of cinnamon in the pumpkin mix I threw out instead of 2 teaspoons. Plus, I left the salt out of the first batch. Those would have been two nasty pumpkin pies!
As I was getting ready to pour the pumpkin pie mix in the pie shells, I realized I needed deep dish pie shells. So, I ended up with enough to make a third pie. However that pie won't get made until tomorrow because in this apartment I DON'T HAVE TWO OVENS like I did in my former home.
My husband's reaction to all of this was "You must be a little off your mark."
Oh, really? You think so? Or maybe, I really am dumb like the whacko lady told me today.
I still want to make a cherry pie and rolls. I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't press my luck.
And then, there's the turkey to deal with on Thursday!
2 comments:
May your family savor your work for at least as long as it took you to create it.
I'm up to at least 4 hours of savoring so far. I'm gonna' keep track!
Post a Comment