Thursday, November 13, 2008

If only I had my camera with me...

Yesterday while filling up at a local gas station, I missed a wonderful opportunity to take a picture of an "Oops" that happened at the station. I'll try to describe what I saw, but I'm pretty sure it won't do the actual situation justice.

Picture this:

One oversize passenger van (at least 15 passengers).
A narrow turning radius to access the gas pump.
Large red, metal U-shaped marker at the end of the gas pump station.
A driver that apparently didn't understand that her van wouldn't quite make the turn.

The van ended up with the front wheels on a lawn area at the side of the pump and the back left wheel jammed against the U shaped marker. Two or three feet of the side panel just in front of the wheel was smashed with a lot of paint evidence of the red U shaped marker on the panel.

The driver, her passenger and the gas station manager were trying to decide how to get the van out of the predicament it was in. If the driver forced the van forward, most likely, the wheel would be significantly damaged. If the driver backed up, there would be more damage to the side panel. They were trying to decide the lesser of two evils. (I was wondering if the driver didn't wonder what that weird noise was when she first hit the marker).


As I left the gas station and made the turn on to the street, I looked back at this van. Well, it seems like this wasn't the first time someone had misjudged the length of the huge van. There was almost identical damage on the side panel on the other side!!

No comments: